24th March 2017
The Federal Government has offered few recommendations in its submission to the Fair Work Commission on Sunday penalty rates.
The independent body ruled Sunday and public holiday rates would be reduced for full-time and part time workers in the hospitality, retail and fast food industries last month.
The commission also sought submissions on how to implement the transition to the new rates.
Under pressure from the Opposition over the change, the Government has repeatedly said it was a decision for the Fair Work Commission.
In its submission on the transition process, the Government urged the commission to ensure the economic benefits of the changes are delivered quickly, while considering the potential impact on employees.
It also said the transition process should be simple and easily understood.
But the submission repeatedly stated this was “core business” for the commission and the transition process was a matter for it to outline.
Shadow Employment Minister Brendan O’Connor labelled it a “weak response” from the Government.
“Malcolm Turnbull has sold out Australian workers with this submission,” Mr O’Connor said in a statement.
“The Government has not argued against these cuts extending to further awards covering restaurant and hair and beauty workers.
“It is a weak response from a weak and hopelessly out of touch Prime Minister.”
Mr O’Connor said Labor had made several submissions to the commission to try to protect weekend penalty rates.