Out on Bail eh! again (Rem Lindt Shooter was as well) – ConspiracyOz

Melbourne car attack: Victoria Police chief ‘rock solid’ behind officers

21st Jan 2017

Victoria’s chief of police has defended the force’s handling of a car pursuit which ended with a man driving into a Melbourne mall yesterday, killing four people and injuring 30 others.

Police arrested a suspect, 26-year-old Dimitrious Gargasoulas, after ramming the car and shooting him in the arm on Bourke Street yesterday afternoon.

He remains under police guard in hospital, and police are hoping to interview and charge him over the weekend.

Police have been criticised for not doing more to stop the driver earlier.

They had received reports of two men fighting in Windsor at 2:15am. Police said one of the men was the suspect in the incident in the CBD and he had left before they arrived at the scene.

Police later pursued the suspect in the Melbourne CBD incident on the other side of the city, in Yarraville, before pulling back for safety reasons while the air wing monitored the situation as the vehicle travelled towards the city.

The driver was later seen doing burnouts outside Flinders Street Station before finally driving through Bourke Street Mall after 1:30pm.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said he was “rock solid” behind the decisions police made while trying to apprehend the driver.

“I am satisfied from my perspective — I emphasise my perspective — all decisions that our officers made were in the interests of trying to provide community safety. I am confident in that.”

“We did make a number of attempts to arrest that driver yesterday, both through the southern and inner western suburbs.

“When we do pursuits, calls are made by both the officers doing the pursuit and the pursuit controller about whether to continue pursuits based on the behaviour — largely on the behaviour — of the driver.”

In 2015 Victorian police officers became subject to new restrictions on conducting pursuits following 13 deaths in five years.

The new rules sparked outrage from the Police Association and its members, and were refined mid last year, but police refused to publicly release the rules so as not to “educate the criminals”.

Police, health and justice system to be examined

Victorian Coroner Justice Sara Hinchey has taken charge of the investigation into the deaths in Melbourne’s CBD, and will probe a number of issues, including the police handling of the incident.

Chief Commissioner Ashton said he understood people would speculate on how things could have been done differently after the fact.

“But my police were on the spot, my police were the ones having to make the decisions — life and death decisions in moments and seconds,” he said.

“Every one of those decisions, from my perspective, was made given what’s the best way to try to prevent the loss of human life here and, tragically, we have lost at least four people in this particular incident.

“What we don’t know is what has been prevented, what death has been prevented through the actions of the police.”

Police officers who were involved in the chase, gave first aid and have been involved in the subsequent investigation have been provided with support, the chief commissioner said, after a traumatising day.

Justice system to come under spotlight

Victoria’s justice system will also come under the spotlight as part of the review into the incident, as the suspect had a violent criminal history and was “well-known” to police.

He was charged with a crime on January 14 and was granted bail by an after-hours bail justice, despite police opposition to the appeal.

Bail justices in Victoria are trained volunteers and are only required to be Australian citizens and not insolvent.

Chief Commissioner Ashton said the coroner would also have his support conducting a “forensic investigation” of other issues which may have affected the case, including mental health and drug abuse.

The state’s parole system was overhauled in recent years, in response to the 2012 murder of Jill Meagher at the hands of Adrian Bayley, who had a long history of sexual violence and had been released on parole.

In recent months, rules governing offenders released on bail has also come under scrutiny in Victoria, following a number of violent crimes committed by young people awaiting court hearings.

Bruce McKenzie from the Police Association said members were frustrated by the current situation.

“Police officers are particularly outraged by the notion that people seem to be routinely released on bail to commit further serious offences,” Mr McKenzie said.

“That’s something we’ll discuss with the Victorian Government in the days and weeks ahead.”

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy offered to work with the Government to reform the bail system following the disaster.

“The bail system in our state is broken, the bail system needs to be fundamentally reformed,” he said.

“We need to make sure the laws that are around us are protecting. The bail system as it stands is not protecting us, it’s working against ordinary people.”

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews promised to make changes to the system if the report called for them.

“I want to make it clear to all Victorians — we will make the changes necessary based on a proper review and a proper investigation of exactly what’s gone on here,” he said.

“We owe that to every single victim and all of those who will forever be changed by the evil crimes that occurred here yesterday.”

A car is seen crushed and damaged after being driven through busy Bourke St mall. Photo: The car believed to have been driven through the busy Bourke St Mall was severely damaged. (AAP: Julian Smith)

Topics: police, crime, law-crime-and-justice, state-parliament, government-and-politics, community-and-society, disasters-and-accidents, melbourne-3000

More on this Story – Mick Raven

Melbourne car incident: Video shows key moments of ‘criminal act’ in Bourke Street

www.abc.net.au

20th Jan 2017

Hundreds of pedestrians were strolling the streets of central Melbourne when a man caught their attention near Flinders Street Station.

Footage from eyewitnesses and CCTV show the minutes leading up to and during the horrific incident in which a driver veered his car into pedestrians, leaving three people dead and several others injured.

Advertisements

Posted on January 24, 2017, in ConspiracyOz Posts. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. This Article related to these events – Mick Raven

    Melbourne eyewitnesses describe seeing people ‘flying like skittles’ as car ploughed through pedestrians
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-20/witnesses-describe–driver-melbourne-cbd-veered-pedestrians/8198842

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: