Sydney council to settle at least half of Australia’s special intake of 12,000 refugees
January 17, 2017
Fairfield City Council has been told it will welcome an additional 3000 refugees from Australia’s one-off special intake. (AAP)
Some western Sydney community leaders have pleaded for more support after Fairfield City Council was reportedly told it will be settling at least half of Australia’s special intake of 12,000 refugees.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection told the council it would be welcoming 3000 extra humanitarian arrivals, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
The council had already taken in 3000 refugees in 2016, which brought their total intake to triple the usual amount for the year.
The newly revealed influx is forecast to drive up Fairfield City’s net migration to 2815 between 2017 and 2021, up from 503 in the previous period, according to a population report.
Stephen Bali, the president of the Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils and mayor of nearby Blacktown City Council said local governments will need to be properly equipped to meet the new settlement responsibilities.
“In the past, councils have received very limited information on incoming refugees,” he said.
“This is something that we hope can be improved in consultation with the federal and state governments.
The one-off intake of Syrian and Iraqi refugees was announced by former Prime Minister Tony Abbott in 2015.
The measure is focused on settling “women, children and families” most vulnerable to the crisis and is in addition to the regular 13,750 scheduled as part of Australia’s normal yearly intake.