3rd March 2016
A police sergeant who allegedly leaked CCTV footage of fellow officers bashing a handcuffed man in the basement of the Surfers Paradise station will make a “no case” submission to the court.
Rick Flori was charged with misconduct in public office after the footage, showing a 21-year-old being beaten, was released to the media in 2012.
He appeared in the Southport Magistrates Court this morning where the case was adjourned for a full hand-up committal on May 20.
On that date, the court heard, the defendant’s legal counsel will make a “no case” submission to the magistrate which, if successful, will see the charge dismissed.
Flori has been in the service for 25 years and was stood down over the incident.
Outside court, he said he was disappointed he had not been allowed to return to work.
“I am essentially absent without pay, I am not getting paid by them, and I intent to fight the matter,” he said.
Flori said the court process was taking a toll.
“Which is part of their [Queensland Police Service] tactic, I’m just getting worn down,” he said.
“I’m not giving up, so I’ll be here to the end, no matter what happens.”
The long-serving officer also commented on phone footage recently released to the media showing a Surfers Paradise constable striking the head and neck of a man during an arrest on Valentine’s Day last month.
“I saw that, and the video really speaks for itself there,” he said.
“It shocked me to see that.
“You would think that the organisation would have learned, there is some smart people in the organisation.”
The Queensland Police Service said the incident was being investigated.