Secret Meetings to Filter the Net – ConspiracyOz

ISIS fight: Facebook, Google, YouTube to hold Canberra talks with Abbott Government

Lanai Scarr

www.news.com.au

March 11, 2015

NetFilter1
THE government will hold crisis talks with Facebook, Google and YouTube to discuss ways to stop the increasing online radicalisation by “death cult” ISIS.

As a growing number of Australians fall prey to the lure of the terror group, including news of three teen converts this week, the Attorney-General’s

department will meet Google and representatives from its subsidiary YouTube in Canberra this week.

Facebook representatives have also been summoned to the nation’s capital next week to discuss the same issue.

The Attorney-General’s department will use the frank and open meetings to request a harder line from the companies when it comes to taking

down extremist material to prevent the further spread of the ISIS message.

Pure evil ... a still from an online propaganda video. Picture: AFP

Pure evil … a still from an online propaganda video. Picture: AFP Source: Supplied

“The government is currently in discussion with private sector and international partners to take down or otherwise address extremist content,”

a spokeswoman for the Attorney-General George Brandis said yesterday.

“(These) key partners include Facebook and Google/YouTube.”

It is understood Twitter will not be participating in face-to-face meetings with the government, however the company said it was in “constant dialogue”

over the prevalence of online radicalisation and a range of other issues.

An independent report by Brookings last week found that from September through December around 46,000 Twitter accounts were being used by ISIS supporters,

however not all at the same time.
Global threat ... a video from extremist group Boko Haram posted on YouTube. Picture: AFP

Global threat … a video from extremist group Boko Haram posted on YouTube. Picture: AFP Source: Supplied

But despite this it can be revealed that the Australian government and its law enforcement agencies have not made one single request to Twitter to take down extremist tweets or material.

Twitter also disputes 46,000 accounts can be linked to ISIS, labelling the data “seriously flawed”.

A Twitter spokesman said yesterday: “We review all reported content against our rules, which prohibit unlawful use and direct, specific threats of violence against others”.

A Google spokesman said: “YouTube has clear policies that prohibit content like gratuitous violence, hate speech and incitement to commit violent acts,

and we remove videos violating these policies when flagged by our users.”

Google would not publicly comment on the meetings with government this week, nor would Facebook.

Propaganda ... a still taken from a video posted by jihadists on YouTube. Picture: AP

Propaganda … a still taken from a video posted by jihadists on YouTube. Picture: AP Source: Supplied

Social media expert at the University of Canberra, Lubna Alam, said the government should discuss with the tech giants ways in which

official complaints about extremist material can be taken more seriously and if new filters can be built to automatically detect terrorism-related posts.

However she said there was “no easy solution” to combating the rise of radicalisation online through platforms such as YouTube and Facebook.

“It is a difficult task to monitor because so many people are using these services from around the world and these companies often have soft approaches

to these things because they support freedom of speech and freedom of expression,” Dr Alam said.

“If the government is meeting with these companies they should take the opportunity to work out a way in which their goals of stopping radicalisation can match up with the goals of

Facebook and Google and Twitter to promote free speech.”
Recruitment ... an ISIS training video posted to YouTube. Picture: YouTube

Recruitment … an ISIS training video posted to YouTube. Picture: YouTube Source: YouTube

Last month Attorney-General George Brandis announced $18 million in funding for the Combating Terrorist Propaganda in Australia initiative to target extremist material online.

On Monday Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government was doing “everything we humanely can” to stop the spread of the ISIS message online.

“Too many Australians, it seems, are being brainwashed online by this death cult,” he said.

“It’s important that we do everything we can to crackdown on this.”

His comments followed the arrest of two teenage brothers at Sydney airport on Friday trying to flee to the Middle East to join ISIS and revelations on

Monday that Melbourne teen Jake Bilardi was already fighting with the terror group.

Advertisements

Posted on March 11, 2015, in ConspiracyOz Posts. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: