August 06, 2013
AUSTRALIAN entertainer Rolf Harris has been re-arrested by British police on further allegations of sexual offences, according to reports.
Harris was named earlier this year as the Australian entertainer arrested in late March by officers from Operation Yewtree, which was established following the Jimmy Savile scandal.
The 83-year-old was bailed until May and then again until today “pending further inquiries”.
When he returned to answer bail today he was told he faced additional charges, Sky News reported.
Harris, first questioned in November 2012, has not been charged and denies any wrongdoing.
UK police officers have travelled to Australia to interview two women about sex abuse allegations.
Harris has made a rare public appearance at the weekend, thanking fans for their support at the Wickham Festival in Hampshire, England.
Clearly emotional in the face of the cheering crowd, he stumbled over his words.
“Just before I go any further I would just like to thank you all for my support … for your support,” Harris said on Sunday night.
“I didn’t say it very well, but you know what I mean. Thank you for your support, I will always wear it.”
– with AAP